Wednesday, December 21, 2005

a lasting impression

[forewarning: this is a "thought-provoking" question, and may be a bit sombre.]

Have you ever heard a news story that has really touched you in some way? something that you think you're sure to remember forever?

One day when i was pregnant, i was at home watching the Noontime news. Out in York PA (a bit south of Lancaster) there was a shooting. Some guy shot a pregnant woman in the head at a grocery store as she was unloading her cart. When police ?ed him, he said: "i just felt like killing someone."

i cried for hours over that. [when you're pregnant, you're emotional to begin with.] It was just awful.

Well, a few days later, i heard an update on the story. here, i thought she had died. No. Somehow the bullet did not hit anything major [i'm not really sure of the specifics], so she was alive but on life support. Her husband was in the Army over in Iraq. The military was gonna let him come home for as long as needed... that was nice of them...

Over the months, i kept hearing updates. Then, wouldnt you know it... When i was in the hospital after Erica was born, i was watching the news and this woman had her baby round 'bout the same time. And her husband was able to be there with her.

This touched me because of two different things: 1) She was pregnant. 2) Her hubby was in the army. My hubby spent 8 months overseas w/ the Army while we were engaged. I know how hard it is to be seperated, and it made me teary eyed to know that he was able to be around for his wife and the birth of their child.

So, have you ever heard a story that really touched you in some way? Maybe its a good, heart warming story. Maybe something that you felt an odd connection to. Maybe something that intrigued you cuz you just couldnt figure out how or why it happened?

please share.

4 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, December 21, 2005, Blogger Abigail S. said...

On the local radio station, the morning show has a yearly "Christmas Wish" segment. They take nominations from listeners for people who really need extra help for the holidays. They then pick several, and award them $1,000. The stories always make me cry.
The one was for three siblings that had lost their father 2 years back, and their mother was dying of cancer. When the radio station chose them, the show called them to tell them about it (live, on-air). The oldest daughter answered the phone. She said that just that week the mother had died. She started crying when they told her about the $... she was 19, and she had 2 younger siblings to now look after. It made me cry... Luckily, I wasn't wearing mascara.

 
At 6:13 AM, December 22, 2005, Blogger Akanksha said...

i always cry when i hear such stories...
i used to watch a lot of Oprah when i was in delhi..there plent of touching stories
the story that touched me is nothing as sombre or thought provoking.. but it really hit me coz it was abt a woman who was obese and how she struggled to lose weight .. since i am overweight i could totally relate with her stories like when u eat just bcoz u r depressed or the fear of wearing belts coz they add inches to ur waist..

 
At 9:20 AM, December 22, 2005, Blogger Tom said...

My brothers best friend shot himself in the head with a shot gun out on the UofM campus mall back in 1986. His name was Brad, or Bradman. I guess he was doing a lot of coke at the time. To this day, I visit his grave site when I am out in that area. I have always wondered if there was something I could have done. I didn't really know him though so I don't feel guilty. Its just a sad sad story.

 
At 10:19 AM, December 23, 2005, Blogger Read This said...

Well, this one touched me in ways no one will ever understand. A few years back Pamela Anderson had a breast reduction. There were many tears in my household, and in households all over the world. I was shocked and horrified. Then, like a Festivus miracle, she had them re-inflated. Now everything is right with the world. Birds are now chirping again, God is smiling, and Pamela is Pamela again. I'm getting a tear just retelling this story. LOL, playing. Enjoy your blog, just put it to favorites. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home