Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Another Parking Lot question

It seems like we've had a lot of questions lately about parking lots... specifically Walmart parking lots. well, here's another one...

I was at Walmart yesterday. Had to pick up the basics: milk, bread, canned green beans...

So, i was loading up the car afterwards. Taking care of erica. Yes, i put the cart back where it belonged. As i was put my groceries in the car, another car parked next to me. A little old lady and guy stepped out and oggled over Erica. (This happens quite often.) Then, they went inside.

I continued doing my business. Then, i see this shady-looking guy come walking up. Mid-twenties, white, shaved head, ratty green jacket. Hmm... I was a bit scared (I always imagine the worst-- like, what if he's gonna kidnap erica). But i said to myself: Its daylight out, and tons of people are around! But still, i kept my eye on his every move.

He walked up to the car next to me... the one that was just parked. He takes out his keys, and pretends to try to unlock it. I was watching carefully-- he didnt put the keys IN the lock, just kinda pretended to be. I think he realized that i was watching. So, he took a few steps away, pulled out a cell phone, and pretended to be talking to someone.

i wasnt sure what was going on. i KNEW it wasnt his car. but was he gonna steal it? or what? I hem and haw, fiddling with stuff in my purse, trying to think what to do...

~Do i yell to him: Thats not your car! It belongs to a little old lady and man!
~Drive away like nothing happened?
~Go inside the store and report what i'm seeing?

Well, i pull out of my spot. As soon as i start doing so, he puts away the cell phone. I drive to the other side of the parking lot, then drive back to see if the car is still there and if he's trying to get in it. As i drive by again, the car is there but he is not...

So...
?What was going on?
?What should i have done?

6 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, November 29, 2005, Blogger Abigail S. said...

Wow! That is freaky! I wonder what he was up to... Maybe he's CIA and the old lady was actually an international assassin! Doubtful... but maybe!

You did the right thing by not talking to him... who knows what kind of bad guy he is... it's better to keep yourself safe than a car safe.

 
At 5:11 PM, November 29, 2005, Blogger FU said...

spoooky... i woulda told security.. they could have gone and called the cops..

but then again..the guy may have taken a look at ur plates and stuff... and u dont want him hunting u down...

egad..

 
At 5:32 PM, November 29, 2005, Blogger Tom said...

What a freak deal man, there are so many scary people out there. They are everywhere, its a wonder we all make it back home alive! I am serious, with all the drug addicts, sex addicts, and criminals out there, it really scares me. I would have bailed on that scene! Although, I want me and my family to take karate lessons so that we can defend ourselves!!

 
At 5:49 PM, November 29, 2005, Blogger EssentialStephen said...

I think I'd go with some of the others that I'd tell the store security. I have actually done that. It is never safe to actually step in and confront someone directly but security can at least monitor the situation.

 
At 7:30 PM, November 29, 2005, Blogger Dairn said...

The little old lady and man obviously stole this guy's car and changed the locks.

Let's all hope they are brought to justice.

Seriously, though, glad you and Erica are ok! :-)

 
At 12:11 PM, December 02, 2005, Blogger Beth Danae said...

that is scary. I too always wonder what I should do.

Last week I saw a girl go into a target bathroom twice within 10 minutes and the second time she walked in with a tagged shirt, which I assume she was going to steal.

I wanted to say somethign to someone, but figured they couldn't very well just go corner her in the bathroom and say someone said she was stealing...

And the store was busy so there wasn't any staff person nearby to tell...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home